Thread: GUI's in MEL
View Single Post
# 3 29-11-2007 , 08:39 PM
There's a few options open to you (and probably many more) if you already have programming skills or are willing to dive in at the deep end and try.

1) Hardcore way - Learn C++ and MEL (as djknucklez1 mentioned) and create a custom tool from scratch
2) Middle of the road depending on programming skills - Use a custom development toolkit that encapsulates a lot of the tedious and hard work into easy to use libraries. One I'm going to be looking at playing with real soon is wxwidgets https://www.wxwidgets.org/
I found this after looking into a cool looking re-topology program called topogun which is based on it. wxwidgets is flexible on what programming languages can be used but you'll still need to know one of them or to dive in at the deep end and start learning one.
3) Lower end but still requiring programming skills - Learn MEL/Python (depending on your version of Maya) and build a custom interface that sits within Maya. I did one of these in the summer for my flocking tool (see my sig). It uses Python and generates a new window with lots of input sections etc. It's worth grabbing a copy to see how some of the commands work and should be well commented.

If you decide to dive in then good luck
Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net