View Single Post
# 8 19-12-2006 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
Tried to PM this, but it's too long. For the benefit of everybody else, I'll post it here rather than emailing.

Wow!, Tutze de Mutze!! user added image

Nice model man!

Thanks for the heads-up about earthobservatory. Have also got in mind a render of our solar system. Perhaps even a bit further out into space.

Was just wondering, if the diameter of the earth is 12760km wouldn't you want to scale by 63.8? Scaling a sphere with a radius of 1, by 127.6 gives you a sphere with a diameter of 255.2.

Sure, it's no big deal - it'll just throw off the position of the clouds and the atmosphere, since they're scaled by an amount that assumes the planet is 12760km in diameter.

I think if you try these values you will find that your model better represents our planet.

1) Make sphere. Scale by 63.8 Freeze transformations
2) duplicate, set scale to 1.00376
3) Select initial sphere, duplicate, set scale to 1.0300

This will create 3 spheres with diams of
127.6 - Earth (diam = 2*63.8 = 127.6)
128.08 - Clouds. (earth + 15(24km) miles each side) 48km total
131.44 - Atmosphere (earth + 120(192km) miles each side) 384km total.

Using these figures rather than the ones quoted results in a higher cloud layer and thicker atmosphere.

Don't believe me? Just check for yourself. Load your scene, use these numbers. This will produce something 1/2 the diameter of yours. Freeze the transformations then scale my one by 2 and put the two planets side-by side. You'll see what I mean.

Use Create->MeasureTools->Distance, vert-snapping on the two poles of each sphere to check it's diameter.

All that said and done, your model still looks BLOODY GREAT. Be sure to post the result if you try it and are pleased.

Simon