View Single Post
# 6 07-03-2005 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
Thanks to the both of you...

Maya uses a 0 to 1 range, so .69 would be 69%. Note; it is possible to create "super bright" lights, i.e. over 1.0. Haven't found need for this myself yet

Originally posted by LauriePriest
if you have a fall off other than linier you sometimes need a higher intensity.

playing with the decay rate, I have to agree with LauriePriest. I been noticing even with linear decay I need to set it above 1.0, and Quadric I need to set it above 2.0, and cubic I need to set it above 4.0 to even get a my scenery to look like it is using a .69 intensity with no decay rate.

also, not being a light expert, I have been noticing that a lot of the tutorials wheather it be using Max, LW, or Maya, they descibe that they are using a 3 point lighting method. Though I thought that 3 point lighting is for posing? What if you are doing a walk-through scenery?

For example if I make a a rancher, for someone to walk-through do I need to apply the 3 point lighting method on all the rooms? I here that mental ray does better light bouncing but I think in my opinion I need to get the hang of basic lighting with depth map shadding first before I can even touch Mental Ray. So I ask what would be the best way to light up each room? Should I use 3 point lighting in each evey room?