View Single Post
# 1 22-03-2012 , 09:52 PM
Lifetime Member

Blast from the past - Apache Modeling...

Hi all,

I'm attempting to model Kurt's venerable Apache AH64. In part 12 where he tackles the tailfin:

user added image

The rear part needs to be angled out at around 25-30%, which he does by using a lattice deformer.

In the video when he does this he then goes on to slice and inset the polys just around the crease, but doing this leads to some horrible overlap with the polys at the base of the kinked part of the fin.

I'm trying to figure out a way of modeling that gives a better poly flow - and it seems to me that the inset around the fin would be much better if it were modeled in as part of the base extrusions, and doing so does give much better looking poly flow. However, I then struggle to get the deformation in the tailfin, and cannot for the life of me figure out a decent way of getting the required shape (simply rotating and moving the points around doesn't work since there's not enough geometry to give decent results and I'd rather not have to heavily subdivide at this point - indeed, rotating the points leads to really screwed up, non planar faces, rotating the faces leads to even worse looking geometry since the rotation seems to happen around different axes per face (even though they're all supposed to be rotating in world coordinates user added image)

Anyone have any suggestions as the best way to achieve the desired effect???