View Single Post
# 103 08-04-2006 , 01:05 AM
mmoore5553, the closest tutorial to the way I modeled the BBS rims above can be found at www.3dtotal.com in the Maya tutorials section. There's also a couple of other nice tutorials at the same site for modeling a BMW Z. The poly rims for the Porsche were done by breaking it down to the smallest element, and then duplicating with rotation, and then merging the poly vertices. I made half a spoke, mirror copied it, then duplicated that one spoke four times with the correct number of degrees rotation. I then attached each spoke to the outer rim part which I modeled from a cylinder. It's actually a pretty quick process once you get the hang of it. I use symmetry whenever possible to cut down on modeling time.

ericmattison, the glass shader is pretty simple. Make a blinn with color being black, diffuse turned down to zero, and a really tight bright specular highlight. Turn the transparency to whatever you want (clear or tinted glass). Next, create a sampler info node and a ramp node. Connect the sampler info node into the ramp using the connection editor (connect the facing ratio of the sampler info node to the vCoord of the ramp), and then connect the ramp to the blinn (connect the out alpha from the ramp to the reflectivity of the blinn). Finally adjust the ramp's colors to shades of grey for the look you want. Basically, glass is more reflective when you look at it from a glancing angle, and almost non-reflective when you look straight at it. Use your own car as a reference for the correct look, or maybe a shop window or something. It's hard to explain every detail, I'm thinking one day I might try writing a book or video tutorial on all the things I've learned. There's just so many little tricks that I don't think are addressed in any book out there yet.