View Single Post
# 8 28-10-2008 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber
i have a 2 year old laptop and it runs maya fine. 1.5gb ram and geforce 7300 nvidia (128 dedicated + optional 128 integrated) and running XP

dedicated graphics means you have a seperate piece of memory made for graphics, integrated means you use your RAM (effectively you have less ram for all your applications to run, and its also suppose to be slower than dedicated)

1. why are you wanting a laptop?
unless you plan on taking your work with you you can get a desktop that is 3 times better for the same price.
or if you dont have space for a desktop (because you live in an apartment or your room is really crowded/messy/small) or you're concerned about your power bill then you'd get a laptop

keep in mind that laptops have a small screen resolution so they can't display as much as an proper monitor. not that it matters so much with Maya and i think the 15.4" laptops these days are able to see the entire interface

Originally posted by ben hobden
ok. so the key thing then i dont understand either is will i be able to transfer software from my xp desktop, to a vista laptop?

as long as you have the software you used to install to your desktop you'll be able to install to your laptop

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D