View Single Post
# 46 01-01-2010 , 11:04 PM
Look I am not saying all ngons and booleans are the only way to model. But they allow me to punch clean holes in things and as long as MY pipeline does not have any requirements prohibiting ngons and booleans and my work renders fine for the purposes I intend it for then it's fine.

And yes Jay did imply that the only acceptable ngon in any model has more then 3 and less the 5 sides. The tone of his message and all these posts was not one of helpful recommendations about good modeling practices! I know what good modeling practices are! I simply gave a method to solve complex problems of punching clean holes or adding oddly shaped geometry to a complex surface in a fast and efficient way with no rendering artifacts.

And yes Jay, I know what good modeling practices are and if I needed to pass this on in a complex studio pipeline I would build it EXACTLY the same way then simply retopologize.

Not all of my work has a requirement to be smoothed or deformed and I don't have an art director that is going to change my requirement and if I decide I need to change my requirement then I have the skill to change it.

It's a work in progress! It's demonstrates a viable way to punch holes in a surface without rendering artifacts and clean looking models and in the end if it's that critical to go smooth or go to quads then I would still model this way and then just use a tool to retopologise, like the Nex plugin, Modo, Lightwave, Zbrush, Mudbox, or any other program that allows me to draw out quad polygons on a surface.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-01-2010 at 11:43 PM.