View Single Post
# 1 07-09-2009 , 07:06 AM

fit objects to surface

ok, this question must have been risen here allready I just cant find anything - so here´s my question.

I have a wide area of soil with grass on it. the plants which are needed to be placed on the ground are lowPoly-alphaTexture models simply planes most of the time. the ground surface is uneven. so -

the tricky part - I´ve allready placed the plants from the top view. what I now need is to make them stick/fit to the surface by somehow constraining them with a script (only Y-axis matters in this case.) paying attention to the Y-axis and only and the normalDirection of the soily groundSurface.

I got about 10,000 (simple planes only) objects, so I realy need a script or something.

I allready googled alot, but theres nothing I found what is actually working how it´s supposed to do. maybe I just used wrong keywords...

reminder: I dont want to fit the objects to vertices - they just need to be moved down until touching the surfaceGeometry.

I hope anyone can help me. Script, Url, ideas - it doesn´t matter - any input is greatly appreciated!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.