View Single Post
# 1 08-08-2008 , 07:33 AM
Subscriber

what i have to say about XSI so far

whilst i'm fully aware that this isn't an XSI forum i'd just like to tell someone who knows what im talking about what i think so far, although XSI is meant to be better than everyone else (this is the feeling i get from the website since they are bragging about how better everything is than Maya and 3ds, and i say it probably is, and i haven't exactly gotten far into learning this)

CRASH

it crashes more often than microsoft and maya put together
maybe its just because its the free version i'm using, but it crashes all too often... maybe its my specs and i need more RAM

there are a few little trivial quirks, which could be debatable as being good or not

they do have raycast select which lets you select things with the selection marquee and you only select the things that are facing you... the only equivalent i can find in maya is the paint selection, useful as it is, it doesn't seem as fast as a marquee drag.

although in some tutorials i've seen people marquee drag stuff and only some of the things in the marquee get selected. like only the faces facing you, or only the faces that are fully inside the marquee.

but yeah, this post is mainly to say XSI mod tool crashes more often than microsoft and maya put together... :zzz:

oh and one other thing.... it doesn't seem to like duel monitors that are different sizes
dragging it to the bigger monitor (which is stuck at being secondary) full screening it just makes it jump to the bottom left corner the size of the smaller res
which kind of defeats the purpose of me getting my larger monitor since i got it so i could see all the buttons in this program a few months ago :bandit:

oh and one more thing.... navigating is a lot slower... you can't use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

oh and one more thing.... (i kinda sound like the old guy from that jackie chan adventures cartoon :p) the button to switch between a maximised viewport and the four pane view port thing is F12, the key is soooo far away user added image
ok, the obvious soution is to buy the software and then i'll be allowed to edit the hotkeys

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 08-08-2008 at 08:09 AM.