View Single Post
# 1 27-06-2004 , 03:21 PM

Extrudable polygon with holes

I am trying something simple in maya that is a breeze to do in max, but maya is failing terribly.

Ok, I'm trying to make a wall of an old farm house. Nothing fancy here, imagine a square with a triangle on top. Now the square and the triangle are a single polygon. Ok, now I want to put a small square in the middle of this single shape and have that square be a hole where a window will be in my simple wall.

So I use the the create polygon tool and define the outline, by X-Clicking in a clockwise fashion. Now The last point resides on the first point. Instead of hitting enter to close the polygon, I CTRL-CLick to define the little square, but wait , for some reason, maya won't let me use a square, it can only do triangles? What's up with that?

In 3DS Max, I can define my two shapes, and attach them. Then when I do an extrude, the shapes that are inside the larger shape becomes holes. I want that in maya, can anyone tell me how to do that in the simplest way possible. Mainly I need simplicity because I am turning the technique directly into MEL script.

Thanks

Enivob