View Single Post
# 56 18-11-2005 , 06:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Wizzie

Some interesting points, I did kinda get lost thru your thread a bit, (no offence) I think most people are chilled about it though myself being one of them.

As always panic starts at the drop of a hat, nobody likes change at the best of times when something has been good for so long.

Although we have SSS, hair, cloth and fluids to name a few, 3d is still in a evolutionary stage and we are all probably looking at the next stage forward in that evolution..

Cheers

Jay

Hi,
Sorry if I confused anyone.

High level ... simply put.

The sky is not falling ... yet.

Maya has a large user base.

Autodesk would be catastrophically stupid to make any major changes in the short term (next couple of years)

If, when the Senior Software people have had a chance to really look things over, the strengths and weaknesses of both products, they may see some things that can be improved.

This could mean some positive changes introduced into both products. The opposite is true too.

There are always improvements that can be made. Software continues to evolve.

Here's a real kicker. One of the simplest and easiest interfaces I have seen with respect to modeling with just primitive shapes is found in an online game called Second Life.
Ha .. No kidding.

When you translate any object you have made, the interface displays extended 'infinite' x,y,z axis. This, I have to say is really far sighted. It is a snap to place an object, without having to change the viewing perspective, almost exactly where you want to place it.

For an online game that allows for the creation of 3D objects in real time (that can be scripted to move themselves, the ability animate avitars that sit or stand on them, and spawn other objects or destroy (die) themselves is pretty darn incredible.

With infinite axis during translation it is easy to see exactly where an object is with respect to the ground and other objects.

I don't know, perhaps someone has already written a mel script or there is already an option to do that but I'd love to see 'infinite' axis in Mayaif it were possible.

Sorry, I digressed.

No one likes change and often times change spells disaster.

I just have a gut feeling that Autodesk, didn't buy Maya to trash it or to alienate the entire community.

Just trying to bring some peace and calm to those who may be a little stressed. The version of Maya that anyone has will still work the same way tomorrow and the next day.

We just have to wait and see what happens to future versions.

Have a great day all,

wizzie