View Single Post
# 73 03-11-2005 , 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
guys the only problem with have sci fi fantasy stuff is that it can allow people to be lazy. Think about it if you had to model something real e.g. a pair of headphones you can't just "make it up" and then tell people "oh I meant it to be like that!". I'd like to see people really pushing themselves to make stuff look real and truly follow a design. Dont get lazy on your stuff, really pull out the stops. I've noticed that the quality of the last two challenges has been awesome (much much higher than it used to be!) so well done to everyone taking part! user added image

user added image
A

I just wanted to comment on this. If being a good artist is meeting your intentions exactly as you set out to do things, then this might be the case. I think that many insights into a design can emerge in the process of creating one's art and deviations from your original design can often lead to more interesting designs. It is important to have sketches and initial thoughts about your design, don't get me wrong. As far as laziness goes well I've seen plenty of well drawn fantasy creatures that are recreated in 3d down to the last fine detail, so I don't think its specifically Sci-Fi/Fantasy content that makes one be lazy. And I've scene a ton of crappy shit recreated from sketches to the last fine detail exact. The adherence to detail and initial intent does not always = good work. Its the process you use to create the final artwork that matters. Is making a decision to do something different to your initial design halfway through a project a bad thing?? Is that being lazy? It might be.. but it might also give you a better final result. Im one that thinks the aesthetic value of art resides in the artwork itself.

anti-intentionalist rant ends... hehe

mayafreak3