View Single Post
# 26 29-07-2008 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber
user added image
As I have sloppily outlined in Paint, I'll start with the legs. Notice how round the edges of them seem versus the crosser(support) between the front two. Also the bulge, if there is a bulge in the chair you had in mind or the one you are basing it off of, I can only imagine that this bulge would be round. Right now to me it looks like you have 1 vert just pulled out, as you can see the definition in the edges of the bulge.
Same with the cushion, there are visible lines and definition where I again would imagine it to be smooth and our round. Your objects have fairly hard edges which are highlighted by light and on the front of the cushion there is a dark line, darker then the cushion above and below it. That is due to the hard edge aka not enough geometry to blend one side to another.
And finally the back of the chair. Too rigid - is meant to mean again that you can see the geometry. I would imagine that the backs of your chairs were to smoothly flow from flat to curved at the top. Again you can see where the flat part stops and it appears to contain 2 polys to the end of the curve or 2 sections, whatever you choose to call them. Either way, I notice the definition and it just looks odd.
If you want to smooth out a curve for example but want the rest of the object to remain rather rigid and boxy, you have to add more geometry to the object around its edges to keep them hard.
You can use several tools to do this, split polygon tool, offset edge loop tool, split ring tool, cut faces, extrude, chamfer, and bevel.
I might suggest you check out youtube tutorials for box modeling among other things to learn. That one introduces a few of the tools I mentioned and should give you some idea of where you can go with box modeling skills.

I'll let you digest that, and in the meantime I believe I owe you some reference snaps of my tv. If you click on any of them you will be taken to the full size image which you can save or manipulate or do whatever you like with.

user added image
I wouldn't have you endeavor to create the wires just yet. Work on creating different shapes at the moment and thinking about how you can use different shapes to create objects. This is the back side of the tv, on the left side is the back of the attached speaker. You can kind of see here how it has a round back, and is connected to the tv through a rectangular prism like object but with rounded edges on the bottom and top.

user added image
Some more details, you can see the ventilation holes cut into the tv as well as the rear profile of the stand.

user added image
The ventilation and shape of the top back side of the tv.

user added image
The rear side of the left speaker. You can see how the shape of the unit itself blends into the shape that is visible from the front. It is relatively flat and then curves in towards the tv.

user added image
There isn't much special about the stand or the base, but notice how it is curved to give it some interest. Look how smooth it curves from the upper section to the lower section. Try to get that look with an object to see how you can have a smooth transition from two areas that look rather defined and hard.

user added image
This is the edge detail I was talking about earlier that is cut into the base of the tv.

user added image
This is the frame for the TV super close up so you can see what I was discussing. There is a section of plastic on the right side and a piece that is about 1/5 as thick infront of it. That tiny piece seems to be clear and glossy, while the thick part is black, with high specular and reflections. The clear plastic is used to distort the other pieces reflections while blurring it and refracting the light in different spots as well as protecting the tv itself.

[URL=https://ahosking.com/3DAnimation/SimplyMaya/bluethunder/reference/tv/_DSC1850.jpg]user added image
A shot from above the tv and the left speaker. The left side of the image is the front of the tv. This picture helps you see the actual shape of the speaker and again a miniature version of what I thought you might have been trying to achieve with your chair.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”

Last edited by alexanderH; 29-07-2008 at 03:32 AM.