View Single Post
# 11 06-12-2008 , 11:44 PM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
How long do you have?

Modelling - until midnight today. Animation - until middle of January.

My advice:
-refine the story, you need some sort of pay off at the end, but this one doesnt make sense at all. Get the story right and everything else will follow.
-storyboard lots

Agree, the end is a bit weak. This is a character that I've been drawing in many situations over the past years. Basically, he's a maniac and got a bad temper and often kills things. I have done a storyboard but yeah, I do agree the end isn't great. Originally I wanted some sort of squirrel or something that would mock him, but there has been no time to model that squirrel. If I end up having spare time (unlikely) over the animation course I'd like to revisit that idea though.

-Refine character, i dont really read the character as being a hamster, I suggest since this is your first bit of animation having the character as literally a ball with a tail and eyes. It can be surprisingly expressive and alot easier than animating a quadraped.

Well, "hamster" is pretty much just what I call it. It's not supposed to look like one - see the sketch. It's not a quadraped, he has legs and hands.

-Ditch the fur , it really isnt working. For this kind of anthropized story, somthing stylised really works, forget bump maps and hdri, these things are geared for photorealism, pick apart a color pallete and use the toon shaders to hand pick your color range.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think the fur looks pretty nice overall, I just really need to sort the face out, but apart from that I'm actually pretty happy with it. Might try to make it a little shorter though, and I might also end up doing him without fur if my render times keeps being this bad when rendering the movie.

I wish you luck, the first one is allways the hardest user added image

Thanks, I'll certainly need it. Thanks for your comments user added image