View Single Post
# 62 02-03-2004 , 09:09 AM
Day 4:

- added wing membrane

Kurt, I was struggling with trying to align a planer object on the tilted plane of the wing.

I wish there was a way to create a local coordinate system so you could align things with a non-orthagonal plane? Maybe there is and I am to much of a newb to know. Anyone know?

So I used a different approach to the entire wing skin process. Here is what I did:

1. I made the wing reference plane live.
2. I created 4 cv curves bounding the section of the wing from the body to the inside finger.
3. I create a nurbs boundry surface using the 4 curves.
4. I create 2 more boundry curves and used the edge of the first boundry surface to get 3 curves that I used to form the second section of the wing using a 3 side nurbs boundry surface.
5. I create 2 more boundry curves and the edge of the last curve to make another 3 sided boundry surface for the last section of the wing.
6. Attach the 3 nurbs surfaces and convert nurb to poly and vola and you have a single clean poly section for the entire wing.

To do:

- attach arm to body
- add claws
- add arm details

NOTE:

Trying to move things around and align in 3-space when they are not aligned to an orthagonal plane is a major pain! Maya needs some way to get a local coordinate system of some short. Translation is livable but trying to deal with rotation is a bloody nightmare!

Attached Thumbnails