Thread: WW2 Dogfight
View Single Post
# 74 23-08-2006 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Hiya Mac, glad you liked it user added image

Sorry its short but i'll be adding alot more to it by monday, whole weekend off to fix things and render!

The camera movments are a mixture of key frame animation and using "attach to motion path" to follow a curve. Basically I parent my camera to a Null object (Locator) making sure the aim constraint is not parented. I then attach the locator to a curve to follow for the entire length of the shot. From there its all key framing untill I get the look im going for. Keying both the camera (Not the locator) translation and the aim transform node.

Switching the camera... ahh, thats fooled some people in the past. I'm not switching cameras at all in maya, I rendered out the 5 shots separately using the playblas feature and then edited them together in After Effects. It is possible to switch cameras in Maya (via mel), but the way my pipline is set up I need to have each shot in its own scene file.

Hahaha, thanks, im no God, just a self taught 3D student trying to find a job! The secret is knowing the theory behind what you are doing in your 3D package... If you know what you need to do (theory wise) to get the result you're looking for you're 80% of the way there I feel. Learning the package wasn't the part I found difficult, it was aquiring the theory. user added image

Cheers gster,

I'm really struggling to remove the repetitiveness from the sea. I've kind off scrapped my original shot1 and re-animated what I think is a little more exciting to watch. Maybe this will take your eye away from the sea a little.

I'm rendering this all streight from Maya using MR. I am however adding in lens flare and DOF in post in After effects.

user added image Cheers for the comments, much appreciated!

Update

I've decided to change shot1 completely in favour off something that I feel is a little more exciting, let me know what you think. Its just a quick render, poor anti aliasing etc. Please ignore the flying wheels and missing one from the spit, something must have gone wrong prior to rendering. There is motion blur but no DOF.

New shot 1 - 19mb .Mov

A frame from the animation:
user added image

Cheers everyone,

Jamie.