Thread: Script Request
View Single Post
# 1 02-04-2012 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber

Script Request

I was hoping that maybe someone like Next design who kindly offer their mel scripting talents to us all might be willing to undertake a challenge for me.

In my modeling for clients to have rapid prototyped meshes put out of some subjects i am sometimes given a pre made model to work with. Once the model is scaled to the final size sometimes i have to go back and re-size the details. Usually these details are either A, panel lines, or B, raised greeblies (normally modeled as separate objects)

My request is can someone please make a script that will allow me to select the outward facing polygon(s) on a greeblie and extrude them a specific distance along an axis set to the face, or perpendicular to the face that is selected.

IT is very time consuming to have to select each face and do this separately, sometimes i have to do this with upwards of 20k polys to get the details sized properly. To be honest it doesn't even have to move the faces, just translate along a path that is "Set to face" and give me a way to either See the distance translated, or input a specific number. Obviously I'll have several polygons facing different directions so they would all need their own translation orientation. Would it be possible to have the script auto select outward facing polygons on separate greeblies all at once?

Failing this, if it is impossible, would it be possible to write a script that gave me a window and showed me the distance that the polygon had moved along the Locally selected axis? For example when you extrude a poly that is rotated at some odd angle, 45 degrees in x and 27 in y and 33 in z or what ever, you get the the channel box readout stating that it is been translated 0.00 (or what ever) in local x,y,or z .

Any help would be most appreciated on this. and thank you in advance for the time spent doing it.

George

Last edited by G-Man; 02-04-2012 at 06:40 AM.