View Single Post
# 9 01-04-2007 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by danotronXX
could u also use the zdepth file to do a faded look at the objects farthest to the camera? if so how would u do it with after effects?
tks

I think you are talking about depth of field. The thing is I never got it to work in AEF. But somehow you can. My problem was that I was never able to get Maya to include the z-depth into my files, regardless of what I did.
You might have more luck though. You ned to render your images from maya in a format that supports zdepth. .IFF does, but unfortunately after effects doesn't recognize the z in an .IFF, so don't use it. I heard that .RLA or 16bit Tiffs work. You can check if maya included a zchannel by opening the image in photoshop and looking in the channels tab. There should be something like an alpha2 channel that looks like a ghostly grayscale version of your render.
So you import you footage into after effects make a comp and go effects>3dchanne>depth of field. And it should work.
From now on you are on your own, because as I said I never got to that stage. But if you get it to work please let me know.

good luck user added image