View Single Post
# 5 23-04-2006 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
I do think same as some Guy, young children need to be protected from violent games. And maybe to an extend games in general.
This became increasingly difficult. 15 years ago it was not difficult to get an adult game, and now with the internet... well it's easy isn't it?
Remembering when I was young computers were such a new thing and not capable of displaying hi res gore images in a 3d environment. I played stuff like day of the tentacle (great game if anyone can remember) or Monkey island.
Even if they would have contained violence and strong language, (which they didin't) they were a type of game that is extinct nowadays. They were quite slow, you had to think and try a lot and they had a decent storyline.
Todays games are different, fast, realistic and with very little intelectual challenge. (maybe not all of them but a vast majority) Also the games don not evolve. There is again very little "new stuff out there" doom3 is exactly the same idea as duke nukem etc. it just looks highly realistic.
There is simply no time to question your actions in an ego shooter or even think about it. I think this makes it especially difficult for young children to differentiate between the game world and reality.
Also the real world can by no means offer all the stimuli a game has, this can lead to the normal life apearing boring and flat. Games usually put the player in a keyrole position everything happens around you and because of you. This again is not given in reality and can lead to really anoying behavoir patterns.
Computer games today are removed from being an indoor activity. Starting with the game boy ages ago and ending with the new portable playstation thingy. When I see children and teenagers playing games (if violent or not) on the bus before school after school and during brakes noone can claim it doesn't affect them.

I am not saying abolish games or games with violence. But think about how they might afect society and how to protect people from their negative sideffects.

(A good example, my flatmate is 28. Since he got a ps2 he didn't get violent or anything, but he doesn't actually leave his room on weekendes)

good luck with your study azman. user added image

quote:
personally i think that theres a good arguement for both sides.

out of curiosity, what kind of good effect would a violent game have on a nine year old boy?