View Single Post
# 5 24-12-2003 , 10:59 AM
The idea behind mapping is to map out a series of 3d co-ordinates into a flat 2d picture. Imagine you have a cube if you flatten that into a 2d pic it would be 6 sided and look like a cross. That is essentially what you need to do here. And it's achieved by using different projections or mappings on the object. In your case I would selec all of the faces that face the same way as the one you have highlighted and then click polygons>>texture>>planar map (make sure you have fit to best plane checked on in the options box) and then look at your UV texture editor and you should see all of the faces you selected appearing in the texture window. Move them outta the way and carry on with the rest of the faces (Using automatic mapping can be helpful here as well) you then need to tweak and move and sew the UVs together to form the final map. Try to think where your seams are going to be (where two parts of the texture meet and may not quite look right).

UV mapping is an art and everyone has their own style and way of doing it, it really does just take practice (Although the CG sup I sit next to at work was telling me how he does it yesterday and it sounded interesting...)

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB