View Single Post
# 1 01-05-2004 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Phillips webcam tutorial - Intersect prob

Hey guys. I'm trying to work through the Phillips webcam tut on learningmaya.com (https://www.io.tudelft.nl/id-studiola...am/webcam.html).

I've completed the entire tut except for section 6 - Adding a split line, which uses Intersect Surfaces to perform some trims.

I cannot for the life of me get the trim surface curves to work at all. The best I can do is get them to come about 90% around the body of the webcam, but that is it.

Attached picture:

Fig. 1: Here I show the body of the webcam and the bi-railed surface ready for intersection as per the instructions in the tutorial.

Intersection Settings: I used the default Intersection settings by doing a Reset Tool

Fig. 2: This is the results from the Intersection Surface

Fig. 3: Closeup of Intersection surfaces not closing.

Error message: The final image shows the error message I get when trying to perform a Trim on the body after the Intersect command.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here? I have tried this same set of operations on a simple NURBS sphere and get the same results or different error messages. I have tried several different things to make it work such as closing the rail curves after attaching them and reversing them, deleting history of body and railed surface, reversing surface direction of railed surface, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to leave my model in this unfinished state after getting this far <g>.

Attached Thumbnails

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown