Thread: round corner
View Single Post
# 2 02-08-2003 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber

Re: round corner

Originally posted by microman01
ok i have a cube...i can round edges with the bevel tool but how in the world do i round a corner??

thanx for the help
microman01

if you have unlimited (i think it is not in complete) you can try the round tool which rounds edges and corners. but i guess you would have found that tool by now, so may i tease you a bit with the documentation:

what follows is from the manual in NURBS Modeling->Editiing NURBS surfaces->Roundiing surfaces :

Use Edit NURBS > Round Tool smooths shared edges and corners of NURBS surfaces.

[picture 1 - see attachment]

You can specify a fillet radius for each pair of edges. The edges can be surface edges or trim edges.

To use the Round Tool:

Select Edit NURBS > Round Tool. You are prompted at the help line to select pairs of edges until you press Enter to perform the rounding. Beyond picking edges in pairs, there is no special picking order necessary.

As you select pairs of edges, Maya provides a radius manipulator that shows the radius of the fillet that will be built. While in the Round Tool, you can click the diamond at the end of a radius manipulator to change the radius interactively. Maya doesn't round the object until you press Enter.

[picture 2 - see attachment]

The radius manipulator approximates the profile of the fillet only when the surfaces meet at an angle of nearly 90 degrees.

Overlapping radii have unpredictable results or cause the Round Tool to fail as the surface fillets self-intersect. You can correct this by editing the radii with the Show Manipulator Tool after the fillets are created. If the angle between the two surfaces is less than 15 degrees or greater than 165 degrees, the fillets produced might be inadequate.

The edges must be from separate surfaces. If the edges have different lengths, a fillet will be created only for the shorter edge.

Corners are points where pairs of edges meet. You cannot use the Round Tool on more than three pairs of corners. For example, you can use the Round Tool on all edges of a cube, but you can not use it on the tip of a pyramid, where four edge pairs meet at the top. Also, acute corners may fail as the fillets begin to self-intersect.

To remove a selected pair of edges before you exit the tool, press the Backspace key to remove successively selected edge pairs.

Editing Round fillets

You can use the Channel Box and Show Manipulator Tool to edit the radii of previously created fillets. Select the rounded surface and, in the Channel Box, click roundConstantRadius. The Show Manipulator Tool shows numbered radius manipulators that correspond to Channel Box values.

[picture 3 - see attachment]

Failed Round Tool fillets might appear as red radius manipulator handles. This occurs only if you can complete the filleting by adjusting the radius manipulator.

Attached Images