Thread: Games Jobs
View Single Post
# 12 11-12-2002 , 08:43 PM
You're talking about 2 completely different books there. Neither one is better than the other. The Character Rigging and Animation book focuses on, well, character rigging and animation, and may not necessarily relate to games. In fact, a good chunk of the material in the character book will not carry over to games at all. It's great if you want to learn all the neat features and options for setting up animation rigs in Maya.

The Games and Interactive book may not have as much character-related material in it, but it will go in anything related to game development. I think most the most important thing in that is learning how the internals of Maya function. When you're dealing with game development, it's not just about making good-looking art. The models and rigs need to be technically sound and have to function correctly. In order to accomplish that, you need some understanding of the way Maya handles 3D data. That is where the Games and Interactive book may help.

So, bottom line is, neither book is better than the other. It all depends on what you want to learn. Since this thread is about game jobs, I'd say the Games and Interactive book might be more appropriate.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job