View Single Post
# 7 08-05-2010 , 12:11 AM
Lifetime Member
hi mate,

I use the lasso tool to select a row of UV's or the select tool by holding down RMB and drag across the ones I want (same with lasso).

When you have done that and manipulated them hold the shift key down AND press the ">" key on the keyboard, this is the expand selection so "shift plus the > key" will expand a selection. The reverse to collapse is "shift plus the < key".

When you have expanded then hold down "Ctrl" and drag, as above, with lasso or select tool and this will DESELECT the UV's you choose. Leaving only the row you want to work on.

This also works in modelling as well, with all aspects, ie faces, edges etc.

I also use it when choosing in the model mode as well, there is no menu, just keys. Make a poly sphere, pich one face, then use the expand keys and you will see what happens. In the new Maya you can select a face and then SET a path so it ONLY picks faces along the path you nominate. My Maya is old and I dont have that function. I get around it by picking a face central to my work and expand that way, doesnt always work but better to select faces quickly and deselct a few that you dont want than doing it all by hand.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes