View Single Post
# 241 04-01-2010 , 10:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

2d to 3d

Stwert wanted this put into a thread from my own so more people can have a say on it too. thanks Stwert

heres where it all leaves off:

This was the start of a discussion in Jay's alien thread, and I wanted to respond, but didn't want to hijack the thread further, so if it's ok, I'm just going to copy in the question and some answers and then respond. Hopefully the conversation can continue here with lots of people's input.

Coldwave: And one question from me ...
It is must to have 2D art skills to be good at 3D or i'm wrong?
or at least to be better than those 3D artists that can't draw on 2D..
thx

legendofzombi: My opinion on that question woudl be this:
If you plan to develop your own concept work, to be done in 3d, then a working knowledge of aspects of 2d work would of course be very useful.

Otherwise, While yes, knowing how to put pen to paper Would be a useful skill in art as a whole and could not serve to hinder your efforts in 3d, i do not see that it would its self enhance your ability as a 3d artist.

However Art is not something that is learned. A person either Is an artist, or isn't. Yes you have to learn the software you are using and techniques that need to be employed for this and that. But a person who is not artistic or imaginative can know all day long how to Use the software in question and not produce a scrap of art with the knowledge.

For example:
Anyone with time and dedication can reproduce any object they see in a tutorial as they watch the tutorial, but Not everyone can take those skills and apply them to a different object to recreate it.

Also, I have found at least for my own work, i woudl not know for sure about industry work, but having a bit of imagination when dealing with concepts is necessary. you have a road...ok so you can model the road, but the concept doesn't show other bits that might make it look nicer, Light poles, Street lamps, fire hydrants, ect, an artist would be needed to employ that sort of addition to the concept.

Jay: In my opinion 2d is a must. If you can get yourself on an evening course or class once a week to do it then do so.

2d Art is the absolute foundation of any art, and it serves as a basis in which to establish the forms of any given object albeit organic or otherwise. You get light and shadow for free without having to set anything up, that is something else to learn too. These skills will then hopefully cross into sculpture and 3d and so on.

Also worth doing is carrying a small sketch book around with you, just doodle some stuff in a given time, you'll improve in no time and as I said the skills will show in other areas.

stwerts reply

In response to legendofzombi's comment "Art is not something that is learned. A person either Is an artist, or isn't." I really have to disagree.

I do agree that some people show amazing talent early on with no real training. Lucky them, I say. The rest of us have to learn how to be an artist. Am I an artist? I don't know... probably not much of one, but I'm not as good as I could be and will be. That I know for sure. An person's "artistic" eye can be trained and developed. Principles of composition and design can be learned. Creativity can be stimulated. Someone who never held a pencil before can learn how to produce something that many people can view and enjoy as a work of art. I think it's unfortunate that people think "I can't draw" or "I can't make make visible what I see in my head" and conclude that it will always be so. It can be learned if someone practice, study, look, practice, experiment, practice, fail, and do. That's the stage I'm at right now. I'm not much of an artist, I want to be better, and so I'm learning how. If I thought it couldn't be learned, I'd have given up long ago.

All that aside, I too think it can be very helpful to learn 2D while doing 3D. Simple example: I need reference images but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Solution: Use your ideas and inexact existing images and create your own.
Your eye becomes developed in other ways that will help with 3D. Defining and reproducing light is one area I think has been mentioned.

Anyway, it's good to hear some people's ideas on this and advice. I just bought a sketchbook and have started doing some sketching. I registered for a continuing studies class on composition and design today . What other things do you do to improve your artistic ability?