Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 12-01-2007 , 10:38 AM
Look real nice Mat,

Sheffield huh? I got a M8 who lives there in an area called Basegreen I think. He says its bloody cold! Being from Australia, I can't really understand cold the way you guys can (I'm also in Summer at the moment user added image )

As I was saying... IPod looks real sweet. I like the reflection on the ear bud.

user added image (thats Australian for ...um... err... well everything really)

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 17 12-01-2007 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave,

I'm pretty chuffed with how the iPod turned out. I can remember looking at peoples posts and thinking it would be cool to be able to make something half as good or real looking, it's funny how technique creeps up on you!!

Basegreen, I think that's on the other side of Sheffield from where I am, I'd hate to move here from somewhere warm. There are plenty of colder places in the world but we Brits definately complain about it the most!!

Cheers,

Mat.

# 18 13-01-2007 , 02:24 AM
nice work but the renders look blurry to me and also i suggest a different background cause the white on white looks weird not weird but it doesnt do it for me.

# 19 13-01-2007 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the input younglion,

I know what you mean about the white on white, the more I looked at it the more lkike a greyscale picture it looked. I changed the background to green, it makes quite a bit of difference to the picture.

I'm not too sure why the image is blurry though, there's no DOF lens on the rendering camera that would mess with the focal length and all of the textures are crisp. I'll render out a higher resolution image this afternoon, that might be the answer.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 13-01-2007 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber
Hello again,

here's a higher resolution render 144DPI instead of 72, Click This to see it full size 1600x1200.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 18-02-2007 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber

hey! looks cool

# 22 18-02-2007 , 01:44 AM
Senior Software Developer
Mat,

Shuff looks good. Only crit is the metalic covers on the headfones. They are just too reflective and need more of a dark grey colour to them.

Apart from that your doing as well as ever.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 23 18-02-2007 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
Jerryapple: nice work on yours, crit has been posted.

R@nsid: thanks, I'll get that sorted at some point. I'm a little bogged under with uni work at the moment though. Just about finished designing the character for my tell tale heart animaton, just got to make him now!!

Cheers folks,

Mat.

# 24 19-02-2007 , 10:09 AM
yea i agree with r@nsid... doesn't take long to turn the reflectivity down - like less than 4 minutes after opening the file. (but your render times are dependent on what you use to render with.)

i noticed it before since i know my ipod earphones don't reflect at all, but since the model looked good i didn't want to say anything.

Accept no substitutions.
# 25 19-02-2007 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Having taken another look at the headphones I agree that they don't reflect so much in real life but they definately reflect. Because the mesh on a real headphone is much finer it appears more of a grey colour than shiny metal. It's not so easy as just turning the reflectivity on the attribute editor down though, I have used just one shader to texture the earphone, as there are 3 differently reflective materials that make each bud I am relying on diffuse, alpha and reflectivity maps so I'd need to change them in Photoshop first.

As far as rendering goes, my machine isn't slow (AMD Opteron 165, 2Gig RAM, QuadroFX540) but because of the render settings that I'm using (FG Rays 2000 with secondary bounce enabled, Raytrace Shadows at 20 Rays and 40 Depth Limit and the rest at production quality with a resolution of 1600x1200 at 144 pixels per inch) it still takes the fat end of an hour to render (I wish I had a machine that could deal with it in 4 minutes!!).

Cheers for your thoughts, I will get it sorted when I'm not so busy with uni stuff.

Later,

Mat.