Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-02-2010 , 01:58 PM

Best way to model this complex shape

hello all,

i'm having some issue with this shape. trying to model it as a poly.

so far, i've gone about it by creating surfaces to cut away from the different profiles. its pretty messy.

what is the best way to do this? or is the best way to do it in nurbs and convert?

ideally, i wanted to model this in such a way that allowed for a flexibility to alter/push/pull the shape....

curious to hear differet strategies.

thanks!

Last edited by dzcube; 01-02-2010 at 02:09 PM.
# 2 01-02-2010 , 02:19 PM
The thin red line
Could you supply a picture of you shape........dave

# 3 01-02-2010 , 02:20 PM
oh, here is the physical model and what i've tried to do

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-02-2010 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
#1, way too many poly's on this model, you could be well served using a 12-14 sided cylinder for this model.

#2, to get smooth deformations that your looking for you'd most likely be served tryign out the various deformers found under the animation menu subset

Swap to animation, on the file menu you'll see a section titled Deform, or deformers, i don't recall i just click it..LoL
within you'll find such as, warp, and lattice, twist, ect.

I think that the lattice woudl be a ood place for you to start to pull the lip out, and the warp would be nice to get the interior round shape of the lip.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 5 03-02-2010 , 08:13 PM
alright,

deformers it is... never worked with them before. are there any tips or tricks essential to working with them?

thanks!

# 6 04-02-2010 , 04:22 AM
Subscriber
Honestly, the best way to learn to use them, would be to create some primitives, and just apply each one, and see what different actions and changes do to the mesh you're using it on.

Also, the deformer has components to select just like geometry does, and has editable attributes in the channel box as well, remember that, but just experiment with them, and you'll get the hang of it in a few hours i'd say.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!