Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-10-2010 , 04:59 PM

Where to start?

It seems, as a noobie, that Maya is extremely complex. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should tackle first?

Mai
# 2 19-10-2010 , 05:11 PM
Subscriber
The free tutorials on this site are a good place to start if you have not. Also the vip tutorials here are great learning tools as well, both for Organic modeling techniques and hard surface objects.
You can also search for tutorials on Google, there are numerous well thought out and put together tutorials that have been wrote up on peoples web pages.
another good way to learn things is to see if you can think of something you'd like to do, then try to find it in Maya's help docs... you might not find what you initially started looking for, but i guarantee you you'll learn something new nearly every time you delve into them, at least for a while anyway.
hope this helps
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 19-10-2010 , 05:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
Multi-resolution Displacement Mapping of Distributed Occlusion Fields using Culling

or

Interactive Re-meshing of Caustics for Shadow-mapped Light Fields

or

Anisotropic Preprocessing and Approximation of Subsurface Scattering

just my opinion. user added image

user added image
(siggraph paper generator)

seriously tho, what he said.

# 4 19-10-2010 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
you should start with the tutorials that come with maya before you even go to google or anywhere else

seriously, you do a few of those from the beginning and you'll be able to figure out how to do almost everything.

and it's up-to-date/relevant-to-your-version so you wont be wondering where the polygons menu set is like every other new person who starts with old video tutorials

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D