Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-10-2010 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber

is there a measurment heads up display?

Something that measures the length, width, and height of a selected object? I have the grid set to 'foot' to do my measurements by foot, but there are some things I need to get inches, 1/4 inches, and so on. So I was wondering if there is anything out there that will show my measurements of an object that I have selected so I don't have to guess.

# 2 17-10-2010 , 07:59 AM
SM Tea Boy
Create -> Measure tools are the way i do it.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 17-10-2010 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber
hey that's pretty handy... thanks

After making this thread I found that with an object selected and pressing Ctrl + T gets you a bounding box with measurements.

# 4 17-10-2010 , 10:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Dauser added image user added image user added image mn! That is the best tip I have seen for maya in quite a long time! Ctrl + t rocks my socks user added image

The best part is user input... click on any side and you can enter your own dimensions. Click on a side and you can input any rotation. Drag the middle and you can see how far away you are moving it. Click on an arrow in the center and you can tell it how far to move in any axis (local or world!!!!). This is like the channel box on 'roids.

I will have to explore this further.

Edit: 12 Independent pivot points... corner scaling in any axis... strange, unpredictable behavior... I love it!

Last edited by stwert; 17-10-2010 at 11:02 PM.
# 5 17-10-2010 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
stwert, I haven't explored it much, found it out last night after I made this post. Came in pretty handy. Definitely going to be using that a lot more now myself! And thanks for exploring it like you did, I didn't know it did all that, awesome!

# 6 24-10-2010 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by David
Create -> Measure tools are the way i do it.

Dave user added image

I have always needed a tool like this! thanks man...