Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-11-2010 , 10:24 AM
Lifetime Member

SMTut HDR glass query

Hi guys,

Nilla I am follwing this tut....have even paused the vid to replicate settings I can see on the screen if Im not sure...but then when I render (all settings replicated) I get this weird arse artifacting/pixellation?? When I render in straight MR its fine but using the software as the render it comes out like this?? I am 75% through part 2 at this point.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 05-11-2010 , 10:26 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok????thats weird..now its gone...sheeeesh...must be my graphics card etc etc

apologies Nilla....

cheers Ant

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 05-11-2010 , 05:21 PM
Administrator
No worries, glad you worked it out. The part you're working on is mainly intended to explain the fresnel effect, because it's really important to understand how it works when you're rendering reflective surfaces like glass or water and if you would create your own shaders from scratch sometime in the future this comes into play. As I think I said in the tut don't pay too much attention to the chrome environment I used, you could just grab any image from google and map the reflectivity with that instead and probably get a nicer result, but you need to map it when you have any object in isolation like that and I just wanted to include it in the tut because people sometimes forget it and even though they have a perfectly good shader it won't look nice because the reflections aren't working.

Also there's just one spot in that scene so you'd always need a lot more light than that to get good glass which you'll get to in the later parts when you'll render with in mental ray with Image Based Lighting and FG. Remember that this technique with IBL is something you can use in any case where you have a scene with only a few objects and no real environment for them to reflect, you'll just have to wait for your renders for a whileuser added image I included the probe I used with the tutorial because I find it works well with glass, but if you look in the resources section https://www.simply3dworld.com/downloa...=none&typeid=3 under HDRI you can get some other probes to try out (I'm not sure how good these are though, I've never used them, but if you search google you'll find tons of free probes). It basically comes down to finding a probe that gives you the result you want in cases like this.

# 4 05-11-2010 , 10:03 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL I thought I hasd buggered it up but its cool. Thanks for the tips mate..

cheers bullet

bullet1968