Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-03-2011 , 01:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Rango!!

Anyone seen this yet? Im surprised its not come up as a thread yet in the lounge....

anyway I saw it last weekend - simply wonderful all round. ILM may have found themselves a new playground to run amuck in!! Personally it was a breath of fresh air in terms of story telling, because as much as I love Pixar stuff and some of the dreamworks movies, I get kind of fed up with the whole 'buddy movie' theme. Rango isnt one thankfully

go enjoy.....

Jay

# 2 12-03-2011 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
have not seen it yet, but i seen a article in a newspaper. some ding dong idiots from california are complaining about the at least 60 appearances of depicting smoking. and it should be rated "R" for that. if that is the case and any movie with smoking makes it automatically restricted, i will only watch those that are warned for smoking.

smoking is bad b/c kids see it and start smoking earlier than kids that don't see smoking in movies. then how about shooting people, speeding/driving like idiots, show pregnant teenagers. maybe we should ban all this. now that i know they don't like the movie for smoking i will have to check it out soon as it comes out on dvd. don't like theaters - you cannot rewatch it w/o repaying for it ...

jay, was wondering about your avatar - isn't that the main character in rango? did you have anything to do with it?

cheers

# 3 12-03-2011 , 02:26 PM
Babyduck

hahaha, some people just dont get it do they, christ on a crutch!! And did they mention the last time they saw a smoking lizard, idiots!! I think people forget what they are watching.

Yeah thats Rango on my avatar, and no unfortunately I didnt work on it....I would have love too though.

yeah check it out when you can, its great

Jay

# 4 12-03-2011 , 02:49 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I haven't seen it, but when I have watched the trailer and I think pixar has been kicked of the throne when it comes to the look and feel of a cg animated movie :
YouTube - 'Rango' Trailer HD

# 5 12-03-2011 , 07:46 PM
EduSciVis-er
I want to go see it, I really like the style of it. Gotta disagree with you about the "throne" whatever that is... Pixar and this style are apples and oranges... can't really say one is better cause they serve different purposes. Anyways... looks real good. I was also wondering if you contributed to it Jay with your avatar, but I guess you're a fan user added image

# 6 12-03-2011 , 10:41 PM
Administrator
Looks great, I'm going to see it as soon as it arrives here in the mighty east, probably sometime next summer. Doped up characters running around in the desert and Johnny Depp, it is Fear and Loathing all over again...yay!

# 7 13-03-2011 , 09:12 PM
SM Tea Boy
Just got back from seeing it. Great move best I've seen in a long while.

Go see it!
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 8 13-03-2011 , 09:40 PM
Hey Dave

Excellent!! Glad you like mate, its a good story and full of eye candy too, a rarity in a film these days, usually its one or the other.

cheers
Jay

# 9 14-03-2011 , 01:12 AM
SM Tea Boy
sort of Sergio Leone meets Hunter S Thompson. Whats not to like user added image

I agree great story, nice eye candy.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 10 14-03-2011 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
I cannot WAIT to see this movie. I think Johnny Depp is a great actor, and it just looks like an all-around great movie. In the previews it looked like there were some references to Fear and Loathing.

# 11 17-03-2011 , 09:56 PM
Administrator
I just wanted to add that it was an excellent movie! Thanks Jay for bringing it up if you hadn't I wouldn't have checked the cinemas here and I was so happy it was on.

Rango is the most awesome character ever, the animation was great and even though I'm not big on spaghetti westerns I really enjoyed it. ILM did great and it was fun to see something with a more adult theme.

# 12 17-03-2011 , 10:10 PM
Cool Nilla glad you liked it.

theres a very good 10page article in 3d world this month too on it for those interested

Jay

# 13 17-03-2011 , 11:38 PM
Administrator
And an amazing realflow tutorial by sm on the cover disc in 3d artist magazine to compete user added image Nah joking aside, would be interesting to see a bit more behind the scenes on Rango they developed a great character there with some brilliant outfits especially the dress. "The Ballad of Rango" was released a few weeks ago, might be cool for next challenge prize and some more behind the scenes info.

# 14 18-03-2011 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber

... Nah joking aside, would be interesting to see a bit more behind the scenes on Rango they developed a great character there with some brilliant outfits especially the dress....

they probably will save the making of for the dvd/bd special edition. but then again, they probably won't go into enough detail for us crazy people here user added image