Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 31-03-2011 , 02:07 AM
Lifetime Member

Set Driven Keys Problem

Hey Guys,

I was hoping for a little help. I'm Currently rigging a character for my uni assessment and trying to set up a relationship between my foot control attributes and my reverse foot lock, specifically I'm trying to link the rotate z to my heel pivot attribute. The problem is when i establish the link the rig jumps from one extreme to the next, there is no smooth transition between extremes.

I noticed a similar thread on the forum with this problem and the solution was to change my animation tangents to clamped, this however did not solve my problem.

I am also having the same problem with my blend shapes and GUI relationship. For example the characters eyes can only be open or closed. It doesn't allow for anything in between.

Can anyone shed some light on my situation please....

-JOel

# 2 31-03-2011 , 03:16 AM
EduSciVis-er
Try opening the graph editor with these controls selected to see if you can visualize the problem. You might try changing the tangents to linear.

# 3 31-03-2011 , 08:59 AM
gimbal lock?

Look at your driven controller and change the rotation mode to gimbal, if your rz channel is not aligned to the axis you wish to rotate through then that might be your problem.

You will need to adjust the controllers rotation order to get predictable results.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 4 01-04-2011 , 02:15 PM
Lifetime Member

Thanks

Cheers for your help guys. It was the tangents. For some reason I'd set them to linear and maya would decided to make them stepped anyways...all sorted now tho....Thanks

# 5 30-06-2013 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber

Rigging issues

Also remember blend shapes are linear in their approach to movement.

They can not give you the arch you need for good movement on eyelids

Better to use joint controls for eyelids.

Cheers