Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-04-2011 , 06:39 PM

Cutting Out Words?

Hey guys I'm trying to model this bottle:

https://blacklightbottles.com/images/Chambord.jpg

But with a few alterations. I have everything modeled but the gold wrap around part. How can I make that and cut out the letters to say something else?

Thanks user added image

# 2 09-04-2011 , 08:53 PM
You can use the Create Text tool to create the text. Then you can use a lattice or a non-linear bend to make it conform to the bottle. You can also use a path to place the text but my preference would be to use a non-linear bend.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 09-04-2011 , 09:52 PM
Thank you!

I've got the text and I moved it to the bottle but the words don't bend on their own. I placed each letter where they're supposed to go but they're still just flat objects on it. Then how would I cut it out?

# 4 09-04-2011 , 10:06 PM
Can you explain what you mean by Cut them out? Do you mean change them to something else?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 09-04-2011 , 10:11 PM
Like cut out the letter shapes so it's just an empty space where the letters are so you can see through it to the bottle?

# 6 09-04-2011 , 10:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
I would start with them in a straight line, group them all together, and use a bend deformer to wrap them around the bottle. Hope that helps. As for cutting them out, I'm not sure I understand, can you post a shot of what you've got so far?

# 7 09-04-2011 , 10:29 PM

# 8 09-04-2011 , 11:28 PM
Haha, I'm going to let someone else hopefully answer that question. My answer would only cause you problems. My way would be to use boolean difference to do that but I understand booleans very well. If you're not familiar with booleans it will cause you a major headache and you should wait for a different answer.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 09-04-2011 , 11:53 PM
Okay thank you anyways

# 10 10-04-2011 , 12:00 AM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, I was going to let someone else answer too, cause my solution was booleans... maybe you should just use booleans. Worth a try anyway. Or you could use a texture with a transparency map, I suppose.

# 11 10-04-2011 , 12:29 AM
So with the booleans would i still use the text tool or just have to model the text?

# 12 10-04-2011 , 01:10 AM
Lifetime Member
why do you want to do that mate??? Im looking at the bottle and the letters are pretty much stuck straight on....there is no need to delete anything from what I can see. Looking at your model you seemed to have made an extra 'lump' around the middle....this isnt needed mate. Just make the bottle as one...create the letters and attach to the bottle. from what I can see the jewelry part is a seperate component and is placed over the top. I have seen this before on special bottles of wine/bourbon.

cheers bullet

EDIT : LOL just realised its a liqueur...LOL so I have seen them before...

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 10-04-2011 , 02:36 AM
Ok, I have another method that might be better suited for you and give you nice clean geometry in the end. I'll try it out first and if it works simple enough, I'll post the instructions.

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 10-04-2011 , 03:15 AM
The other method I was thinking of turns out to be more trouble for you lol. I was thinking about creating poly text with no caps. Then combining all the letters into 1 mesh and using the append to poly tool to start piecing them together.

I'm thinking you should just use the boolean difference.
1. Create text
2. Create the cube you plan on cutting the text out of.
3. Make sure the text goes all the way through the cube. You should see the text in front and behind the cube.
4. Make sure an edge passes through all the letters. also make sure and edge passes through any parts of letters that are disconnected. For example, the letter B has two holes and each hole needs to have an edge through it. Since the horizontal edge doesn't go through both holes on the B, I created a Vertical Edge for the letter B in the attached image. Hope that's making sense to you.
5. Once you have all the edges you need on the cube, perform your boolean difference. Select the cube, then the text and perform boolean.
6. If you did everything correctly, you should be able to bevel the inside edges of the letters without your geometry going crazy. You'll probably want to use the split poly tool though to connect the inside edges to the outside. You'll be able to get better bevels if you do, otherwise your bevels may end up being really small.

I posted a screenshot of the text settings I used in case you were interested.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 15 10-04-2011 , 03:27 AM
Thank you so much!!