Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-08-2004 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber

Ataching Surfaces

I am trying top model a VW camper van. I am having trouble ataching the floor to the side of the vehicle (also the roof but if I get this sorted I should be able to do that no problem).

I have posted a picture, I hope to can see what's going on.

Any help you can give will be great user added image

_LIVID

P.S. The floor will be moved closer, I just moved it away so you guys can see it better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-08-2004 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber
it would be best to leave them as seperate geometry. as you will find out when modeling hard surface with NURBS,
do a free form or circulet fillet to blend the 2 surfaces.
otherwise y will have a difficult time trying to attatch 2 surface with such different topology

# 3 09-09-2004 , 12:21 AM
You could try to rebuildsurfaces function so they have the same number of isoparms around the edge to join, and then stitch. Thats what I'd try, though I'm no expert. To attach use nurbs component display>surface origins to check they're the same . You may have to detach a fair bit of your two objects, and rebuild their surfaces to stitch and attach it all together nicely. Its kind of like a surreal cross between the towers of hanoi puzzle and a 3D slide puzzle.

Last edited by geezbtw; 09-09-2004 at 12:32 AM.
# 4 03-10-2004 , 09:06 AM
mmm in NURB's you don't really be able to get away with 'attaching' as you do with poly's. Can't really expect to have a single object in result.

As long as the edge curves share the same position in space you don't really need to anyhow. You can't get hard corner edges in NURB's. Infact it is a devil to even get a straight plane.. you need at least four CV's on each side of the darned plane!

If you go to the NURB's primitives and create a Nurb's cube you are going to notice that it is not one single object but actually six planes just grouped together.

The best you can do is probably to parent the floor to the sides or visa versa. If you want them to be ONE peace as you select them and all (At least if you select the parent)

Annoying I know.. but they are going to stay the way they were created.

# 5 03-10-2004 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for the help user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog