In response to your question ArtBlack, I used the default settings for pretty much everything except for the plane which I set to the proper one at the time.
No, I didn't freeze transfomations, Nimmel. Yeah, I tried using constraints at one point and also tested using direct connections, tho I believe they gave me similar results. I like the parenting idea since I've tried it before. Tho I usually group the control to itself then parent the group to the joint to get proper orientations and such.
The problem tho, at first, everything was set right, but then when I made the connections whether by constraint or direct connect, somehow wires got crossed and the Y rotated oppositely. So as a way to try and fix this I ended up hiding the original control for that side and breaking connections. then flipped the joint orientation axis so that the X axis, the axis pointing down the bone, was flipped around, facing the oppposite direction. After this I redupplicated the control from the left side, set the control back at the origin, froze transformations. Redid the parent constrain of the control's group node to the joint. I deleted the constraint, then connected the rotations of the joint to the control. Then deleted the original control since it became obsolete
. But so far it seems to work at the moment.