Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-10-2004 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber

Apache tutorial question

user added image

This is the model at the end of stage 1...
I've completed step 2, but when we do the smoothing, I've got all kinds of weirdness going on that the tutorial model does not have.

I went back to my model that we saved at the end of stage 1, and I see these crooked lines that the tutorial model does not have.

Anyhow, any idea how to fix this? As you can see in the original model, it looks pretty much flawless and I don't see any good reason for these indiscrepencies to emerge.

I've merged all vertices possible, how does one fix this without starting over? Keep in mind I'd have to make the change to the unsmoothed model, not to the smoothed result.

PS, To the author of this tutorial, great job. I've done 2 sections and have learned a great deal of great techniques. Thanks for taking the time to baby step through everything (at least the first time you do it) so I can really catch on to all the little things you're doing. This is a great tutorial for a beginner to Maya.

# 2 17-10-2004 , 11:46 AM
Not entirely sure. user added image
Have you tried deleting the smoothed version and re-creating it?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 17-10-2004 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
Ya, I've tried that. One thing I noticed is I seem to end up with a lot of those vertices that are in the exact same spot that need merged together. The ones that appear after an extrude sometimes. In your model in the tutorial you didn't mention merging them, so I assume they weren't there...

Just grasping at straws. That crooked edge problem just gets worse and worse as I add more detail to the model.

I'll try starting it all over and see if it happens again. <shrug> Thanks anyway!

# 4 17-10-2004 , 03:27 PM
Check that you have the "keep faces together" turned on under Polygon->Tool Options. That way the extrusions behave more predictable...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!