Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-10-2004 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber

Normal Mapping

Is there a way to map normals in maya like you can in max so that low poly models look like high poly ones? If there is it'd help me out a lot in my pak mei project for things like statues.

# 2 22-10-2004 , 09:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
Maya 6 has incorporated normal map generation, but unfortunately, it's not quite as robust as I'd like.

Turn on the TransferSurfaceInfo.mll plug-in in the Plug-In Manager and it'll be under the Rendering menues, Lighting/Shading > Transfer Surface Information > Options.

You'll want to select the lowpoly model first and shift select the high poly before activating the command.

Now, this just generates the normal map. In order to actually display the results, I believe you'd have to make use of some sort of plug-in like Nvidia's CgFx plug-in.

# 3 23-10-2004 , 08:04 AM
Subscriber
Thanks.