Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-11-2004 , 12:27 AM

How do I convert a closed curve into a nurbs surface??

I've created a free form surface using a CV/EP Curve and I've closed it.

I now want to change it to a surface so that I can punch a hole into it and then loft it.

Can anyone tell me how to do this.....if it's possible? Thanks :-)

# 2 08-11-2004 , 06:56 AM
surfaces/planar

# 3 10-11-2004 , 11:08 AM
Hi.
Thanks for that.

I'm now wondering how I can change the number of U and V lines on the plane that I've created when I changed the closed curve planar surface.

It has automatically given me 3 lines in the x and y direction. How do I change this?

I tried doing it in the attribute window with no success, then I tried Edit Nurbs>Rebuild, again with no success.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty new to Maya, and although I'm fluent in 3d modelling in 3d architectural programs, I have to admit that Maya is confusing me with the endless amount of of ways and options you can edit/transform create a surface/object.

I have to admit that it is a brilliant program though!!

# 4 10-11-2004 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
You could try rebuilding the curves that you used to creat the surface.

Edit Curves ---> Rebuild Cuves

Tell me if that works

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 5 10-11-2004 , 01:43 PM

Editing planar surfaces/curves

I tried editing the curve first before changing it to a planar surface, but it was no go.

I then changed it to a planar surface and tried rebuilding the curve, but the only thing I could do was increase the number of spans.

No matter what way I try to edit it, there are always at least 3 lines going in the x and y axis.........and another puzzling thing is.......

I tried to see if I could manipulate the CV's where these lines cross (in component mode) but it shows the plane as only have 4 points around the perimeter of the plane.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 10-11-2004 , 02:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
That's because it's actually a plane. Using a Planar function just trims the shape out of a square surface.

In my opinion, and I've said this a lot, I know... you'd have better luck with polygons. user added image

# 7 10-11-2004 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley

you'd have better luck with polygons. user added image

Your new Motto mike user added image

# 8 10-11-2004 , 04:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
Good idea. user added image

# 9 11-11-2004 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
You could try breaking up the curve in 4 pieces and then use the birail function to create a surface out of it. You will be able to do a lot more with that surface. Before using birail rebuild curves so that opposite curves have the same parametirization.