Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-12-2004 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber

Templated polygon turns into a wireframe

I'm following a tutorial at the moment that requires me to work on just one side of a model, and duplicate the other side as an instance. The tutorial then tells me to right click on the new, instanced side and select "Actions > Template". Supposedly, this shouldn't change how the polygon is viewed, but no matter what I've tried I can't get it to appear smooth shaded like everything else.

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me where I've gone wrong.

# 2 18-12-2004 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
well, I'm still fairly new at maya, but if I'm understanding your problem correctly, you need to select the poly half that isn't smooth, and go Edit Polygons>>normals>>Soften/Harden>>option box

Select all soft, and click OK. voila!

# 3 20-12-2004 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
Hmm, perhaps I wasn't very clear. The duplicated and templated half isnt shaded at all in any of the perspective views - it just appears as a grey wireframe even when I select 'Smooth/Flat shade all'. It's not really that great a deal as it turns out, I've just continued with the tutorial without templating one side. I'd still like to know how its done though, because it would make things a bit easier.

# 4 20-12-2004 , 05:40 AM
Subscriber
You could add it to a layer and then make it a reference...