Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-01-2005 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber

Cactus (or cactii)

Hiya guys...

I've decided to have my next project (a short "cartoon style" animation) in a desert environment, and for this purpose I need some cactuses (or whatever the plural of cactus is hehe).

The stem (or whatever) of the cactuses isn't a problem, but I'm having a problem with the spikes/needles. They're easy enough to make, but to get a good effect I need positively hundreds of cones, which makes for a very heavy model to work with. I can live with it if I can't get a better solution, but I would prefer something else.

So how would you guys go about creating a cactus? It's for a pre-rendered project, which will probably have some pretty close-up shots since the main characters are small humanoids who use the cactuses for houses. The style of the cactuses doesn't matter really since if someone has a good technique for getting "real looking" cactuses it shouldn't be too hard to get it looking cartoonish.

Any help appreciated user added image

cheers,

MixX

# 2 11-01-2005 , 12:29 AM
I would guess that you could use some fur options with some heavy tweaking....maybe really thinned out grass, just spit ballin.....the easiest would probably be a script, but if your not into that I would probably go the fur route.....really tweaked out fur options...hehe

# 3 11-01-2005 , 09:20 AM
nurbs cone instances would be light and easy to do. Because they are instances they aren't heavy on the scene

Or you could use locators and run a script at render time to add a cone to each locator. That way you wouldn't have the cones in the scene all the time.

:bandit:

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB