Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-02-2005 , 01:30 AM
Subscriber

Apache Polygon Smooth Proxy Problem

Hey guys, I just started to do the apache tutorail but Im having a little problem, In the Second video tutorial of the modeling section. when I apply the Polygons Smooth Proxy, I do not get the two additional layers added to my layer list (the pCylinder1SmoothMesh and pCylinder1ProxyMesh) . I dont have the PolySmoothFace1 in the channels box, I only have a PolySmoothProxy Drop down box w/o a Divisions Box.

Can someone please help me out, I really want to continue finishing up the tutorial.

Thank You.

Matt

# 2 25-02-2005 , 10:17 AM
Did you reset the settings in the Smooth Proxy options? Don't worry about not having the layers. Later on in the tute I noticed that they're just pain in the butt and turned that feature off. The PolySmoothFace1 should appear in the channel box when you select the smoothed version of you mesh (not the original mesh).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 26-02-2005 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
I did reset the smooth proxy settings but it did not do anything. when I click on the smooth mesh, not the original mesh, I still dont have the PolySmoothFace1 in my channels box, Im not sure what im doing wrong.

# 4 26-02-2005 , 07:58 AM
Could you send me your scene file as a private message and I'll have a look at it? Save it in maya ascii format (.ma), if you're on maya 6 or 6.5...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 5 26-02-2005 , 06:01 PM
Subscriber
did you delete history at any point? That would have removed the polysmoothproxy input node.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 26-02-2005 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
how do i upload a file with private message. I want to pm you but i cant upload the (.ma file). Unless you want the code which I doubt. thank you though

# 7 26-02-2005 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber
here is my file, thank you for the help

Attached Files
File Type: ma apachehelechop.ma (110.1 KB, 330 views)
# 8 27-02-2005 , 10:42 AM
Well, I didn't have any problems smooth proxying your mesh. Can you attach a file where you have already done the smooth proxy so I can see if you've done it right.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 9 27-02-2005 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
Here it is with smooth proxy, but no face1 in my channel box.

Attached Files
File Type: ma apachesmooth.ma (109.8 KB, 331 views)
# 10 27-02-2005 , 10:15 PM
Unfortunately it seems like they have changed something between Maya 5 and 6. I couldn't see the smoothed version of the mesh at all. It gave me this:

// Warning: file: C:/Temp/apachesmooth.ma line 2432: Unrecognized node type 'polySmoothProxy'; preserving node information during this session. //

Anyway, all I can suggest is that you get the latest patch to your Maya, if you haven't done so. Another option is that you try to use the attached file. I did the smooth proxy for you in my Maya 5.

Sorry I couldn't help you better. Maybe someone with Maya 6 can?

Attached Files
File Type: ma kbapachesmooth.ma (104.0 KB, 331 views)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB