Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-02-2005 , 03:06 AM

You've seen it, but please read--fatal error

Upon opening maya 6.5 on my desktop computer, it gives me a fatal error (cannot save in c:\doc...\..\temp\blahblah.mb) and closes. I've tried unistalling and reinstalling. I've read that this is generally caused by hardware or driver problems. In some cases its caused by .net and SP2, but I don't use .net. This is a new computer, so maya has never been run on it before. I'm using the latest omega drivers (based on catalyst 5.1)

Desktop specs:
WinXP SP2
p4 3.0 w/HT
asus p4p800 se mobo
radeon 9800 pro (I know its not supported, but read on)
1gb dual channel memory (mushkin)

While it doesn't load on my desktop, it opens flawlessly on my laptop. I would figure a laptop would have many more problems, seeing as they usually have more problems alone. Same version of maya, same video drivers (they are universal).

Laptop specs:
WinXP SP2
p4 2.6 w/HT
512 mb ram
radeon 9600 mobility pro (m10)

Neither video card is supported, so why would an older, and less dependable video card work? Is there a way to figure out the problem, or should I just roll back my desktop drivers to an official catalyst (4.12?)? I'm sort of at a loss here because this machine was built to be more powerful and druable than my laptop (which runs any version of maya fine).

And before you tell me to go to alias support or the likes (ie, use the search function, I already have).

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."
# 2 26-02-2005 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber

Re: You've seen it, but please read--fatal error

Originally posted by Lifire
Upon opening maya 6.5 on my desktop computer, it gives me a fatal error (cannot save in c:\doc...\..\temp\blahblah.mb) ...

It might notseem important, but it might help to know exactly what cannot be saved vice blahblah. Sounds as though you might have read/write issue with where ever blahblah is located, or maybe blahblah is corrupted.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 26-02-2005 at 06:12 AM.
# 3 26-02-2005 , 04:24 AM
Exact error while trying to open Maya 6.5:

"Fatal Error. Attempting to save in C:/DOCUME~1/Lifire/Locals~1/Temp/Lifire.20050225.2019.ma"

This appears during the splash screen and then when I hit "ok" it exits. I can't set the temp folder "read only" off because it auto resets when I apply. This is why .net causes problems with SP2, cause it doesn't let maya save files there (sees it as a secutiry risk). Like I said, I don't have .net. Also, it never fully loads up, so I can't change any settings in Maya.

Also, like I said, same version of Maya, both fresh installs and both same locations.... no settings altered. Why would one loaction not work if its the same location on another comp? I get the feeling its a hardware thing because it isn't that it can't save the file there, it's just that maya crashes and tries to autosave upon exit (to the said temp directory). I have heard that drivers can be the problem.. but same driver works on one computer and not another? I hate trying to change drivers cause it can cause so many problems (and as it is, these drivers are the best for my games). But if it MIGHT help, then I guess it is worth it.

Edit: anyone that uses a radeon 9800 pro and have no problems with maya (stable)? If so post your drivers. Thanks!

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."

Last edited by Lifire; 26-02-2005 at 04:32 AM.