Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-03-2005 , 07:30 AM

Texturing question.

Hello,

I'm trying to put texture onto the head.

So I just unwrapped it using "cylinder unwrap thingie", then i took snapshot, then messed it in Photoshop, then changed Alpha Channel so.. the face part in alpha-channel is white, and the others were black...

Then i made Lambert, from "file thingie", then middle mouse dragged to the head. Then pressed "6" to see it.

user added image

I'm not even sure if my steps were correct, because i could not find any tutorials going step by step.

Somhow the head is see-through... and i can't get it to be opaque. I messed w/ every sliding bar but, it does not change it.

Is it a step i've not done correctly?

Thank you very much.

# 2 21-03-2005 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
It looks like maybe the normals on some of the faces are the wrong way. Just select the offending faces and go to edit polygons -> normals -> reverse

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 3 21-03-2005 , 01:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
does it render as see-through? Or is it just in your viewport?

If you don't want any transparancy, get rid of the alpha channel and save it as a 24 bit texture. If it still does it, I'd imagine it's a video card issue. Try reversing the normals. It may fix it, but be aware if your normals are backwards.

# 4 21-03-2005 , 11:43 PM
thank you very much!

i checked normals, and they were all right.

and i tried deleting the alpha-channel and YaY! it worked. Thanks guys!!!

i just had some unanswered questions, very simple ones..

1) why do we always try to not have triangle/five sided polygons? and only want quads? Does it mess up when animating?

2) the trim tool for NURBS, if i change to Poly, it is still there. Is the Trim Tool, unused when trying to make something into Poly?

Thank you guys. This forum has been the best forum i've joined.

# 5 24-03-2005 , 09:24 AM

Originally posted by bubbleme80

i just had some unanswered questions, very simple ones..

1) why do we always try to not have triangle/five sided polygons? and only want quads? Does it mess up when animating?

I asked the same question recently but it remainded unanswered. I still would like to know though. user added image

I'm from 3DS Max in where all polygons are made up of (invisible) triangles. I thought that this was the standard way how 3D objects are build. Just as standard as you'd draw a line from point to point. So I don't understand why to avoid triangles at all.

Maybe it's not related at all, but the only reason I can think of to keep the vertices in a polygon to a minimum, is to keep the polygon from bending where there is no edge when you move 1 of them from the imaginary plane on where the other vertices are positioned on.
But than again triangles would be ideal because all vertices are located on this imaginary plane where ever you move any of them. user added image

Last edited by Eelco; 24-03-2005 at 09:49 AM.
# 6 24-03-2005 , 01:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
Smoothing or converting to SubDs or anything like that doesn't do as clean a job unless you keep it mostly quads.

# 7 24-03-2005 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber

ngons vs. 3, 4, sided faces

All faces are triangluated at render... all of them. Making faces tris to begin with make sure that the model is transated at render accurately. However a model made with tris means there is an awful lot of geometry to manipulate. We cut this geometry amount in have half by using quads. Quads can be easily convered to tris with a single line connected opposite points. The triangulation of quads is usually predictable. Ngons, faces with more than four sides, are much less likely to provide predictable results and in addition most game engines only work with tris or quads.

this is a simplified explaination but I hope it helps.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 25-03-2005 at 12:23 AM.
# 8 24-03-2005 , 11:57 PM
It's what I was hoping to hear ... uhh ... read. Other posts made it sound as if you'd ruin you model when you use anything other than quads.