Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-04-2005 , 02:03 PM

Basic Animation question

Hi, is it possible to have a really high rez character, but instead of messing with the really hig poly char, animate a low poly dummy char and make Maya mimic the movement of low poly dummy?

if so, would anyone know where i might find a tutorial on it, or if simple just tell me what i could do?

Thanks.

# 2 05-04-2005 , 02:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi you can make a low poly version of the high res and use it as a wrap deformer to animate and then only turn the high res on to render .
I don't know of a tutorial off hand for you to look at but the maya docs will explain wrap deformers although for a biginner this might prove to be a little envolved .

# 3 06-04-2005 , 02:04 AM
thanks! worked great. i make instance dupe to side of it so i can see it being manipulated, woohoo!

# 4 06-04-2005 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
of corse if your smoothing on the fliy to get to the highpoly count, you can just tern on your smooth nodes when you want to render.