Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-04-2005 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber

Trying to animate this dog, what next?

Hey,

I used the skeleton basics tutorial for this dog (so no I didn't model the dog obviously, I just made the skeleton following the tutorial [free] video user added image )

So, what's next in making him walk/move? user added image

I point joint limitations on some of the joints, do I need to do them all? user added image

# 2 11-04-2005 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
Whoops, here's the pic user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-04-2005 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
expirament and try. Rotate the joints around, set some keys and see what you get .. Not sure but I don't think there is a animation tutorial about move this bone here, thin this one there.

You might try to think of the dog in very small frames of time. Something like put your time marker at 10 and pose the dog in a biggining of a walk, lifting his feet up etc.. thin 20 pose it half way through the steps. Thin at 30 have a pose of him compleating all the steps.. press play and you will find it moves intbetween from one pose to the next. I think many find it helpfull to animate from one pose to the next.

# 4 11-04-2005 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Ok, this may be a dumb question, but how do I get the polygons/nurbs to move with the skeleton? user added image

# 5 11-04-2005 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
you bind them. Look up smooth skinning in the help doc's and there should be a tutorial in the doc's for you to falow.

The short of it is that you select the root joint of the skeleton thin shift select the polys, and smooth bind them. But the deformations will look ugly unless you work on your skin weights. So you really need to falow that little tutorial in the help documents as its to much to cover in a post.