Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-06-2005 , 08:09 PM

Ripping DVDs (legally)

Let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to do anything illegal here. I just want to get a DVD I already own (Pirates of the Caribbean) onto my computer so I can replace the swords with lightsabers. I feel that this is necessary for the betterment of society, as we are lacking in lightsaber-wielding pirates, and studies have found them to be vital in the maintenance of a civil population.

That said, I am having a great deal of difficulty just getting the movie onto my computer. I'd like to get the movie as a single .avi file (compressed with DivX). I want to avoid downloading it (though I may have to). Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

# 2 06-06-2005 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
I know the free program "videomach" can open the video files from dvds and save them as an avi.

# 3 07-06-2005 , 12:20 AM
I use:

DVD Shrink 3.2 to rip, reauthor, choose what language/subtitle match I want, etc.

Then I use Dr. Divx to take the resulting .vob files and make a Divx .avi from that.

And if you REALLY wanna get small on filesize, run that Divx .avi through the Windows Media Encoder Toolset.

DVD Shrink, and Windows Media Encoder Tools are free.

Dr. Divx is not.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com