Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-06-2005 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber

ITS VERY TOUGH FOR ME. HOW TO MAKE SMOOTH EDGES????

Hello everyone at SM. Actually one of the biggest challenges for me is when i have to make smooth edges in any of the objects which i make. i just really dont know the technique. To explain more better plz read the bottom 2 replies of the following thread of mine:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=16763

If anyone can help me by telling me a comfortable technique on how to make smooth surface without distorting the rest of the geometry.... i would be lucky!!!

So please let me know if there are any tutorials on internet or threads regarding the same.

Thanks,
Gautam.

# 2 11-06-2005 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
Hey, I know you have said that you have already tried the polygon smooth function. But to make it so it dosent affect the other geometry, why not select the induvidual faces you would like to smooth. Also, make sure you subdivide before you smooth, to get a more realistic feeling.

# 3 12-06-2005 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
Also, there is the edit polygons -> normals -> soften/harden command. Always good for getting a smoothed out look without a lot of polys.

# 4 29-06-2005 , 09:02 PM

Smoothing

Hi There,

Another command you might try is Polygons> Average Vertices after selecting the vertices in the area you want to even out.

I use this all the time, then you might just have to tweak a few vertices afterwards. I find it best to move at least 2 or 3 vertices at a time, unless I'm really fine tuning.

Hope this helps,

!MasterFool