Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-07-2005 , 04:38 AM
Subscriber

Applying fur to a lambert shader?

Hello all,
After you set the settings you like in the furDescription attribute tab, is it possible to convert this to a file texture which then can be applied to a lambert shader? I am going bonkers tring to figure this out and haven't got any success on this. The first method I tried was I see that there is a bake button in the furDescription attributes though clicking on it nothing happens. I then tried the light mapping method by selecting the object, the fur and the lambert shader, and then in the hypershade window I clicked on edit->convert to file texture. However doing so, I get a warning that says "none of the sets could be added" and all I get is a black texture that is in place of my object.

I know I created the fur description correctly because 1. its a preset from off of the shelf and 2. when I had rendered it the fur was attatched to the object. It just won't let me convert it to a file texture so that I can apply it to a lambert shader. I need to do it this way because my end results of my project will be exported to shockwave, which all the fancy things such as shadows, and fur all need to be converted to file textures considering that shockwave doesn't support these features.

# 2 09-07-2005 , 09:10 PM
I dont think this is possible. what I would suggest is adding fur to a plane then rendering that from a camera looking straight at it and render at 2048x2048 and save that as a texture. You'll get the same result

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 10-07-2005 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber