Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-07-2005 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber

Bump maps - Bump depths

Hi All, a few days ago something weird happened and I can't figure out what I did, but basically the bump depth value acts in reverse of what it should do. Normally, as of a few days ago, any dark areas in the bump map would cause a bump to stick out of the surface in the direction of the normal, but now, with the same default setting it goes in the opposite direction (looks like a hole instead of bump). I can correct this if I put a negative bump depth value, or if I inverse the bump map texture under effects. But there has to be some setting in preferences or something that deals with this. This issue happens with any new projects or any new objects with bump maps that I create, if I open an old project that worked ok it still does the bump mapping the way it should. However, if i create a new object in that old project, the old objects would produce the correct bump, but the new object would not...

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

# 2 30-07-2005 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
I am not familiar with this particular problem, but if you think it's a settings issue, one thing you can try is to rename your maya folder in My Documents to something like maya-old. Then start up Maya, and it will create a new maya folder, and have all the default settings, which may or may not resolve your problem.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 3 31-07-2005 , 12:21 AM
You did say the normals ARE facing exactly the same way they did?

# 4 31-07-2005 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
yes, the normals are facing the same way, yet i am getting different results. I'll try renaming the folder as suggested before see if that fixes it...