Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-08-2005 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber

which program is best?

when rendering do i choose: maya software, maya hardware, maya vector, or mental ray?

and also everytime i do a batch render i keep getting a script editor note: "result:rendering with maya software and just stays on that note for a very long time. it doesnt start the rendering. any ideas on how to fix this?

# 2 30-08-2005 , 08:23 PM
mental ray is the best.

maya software is not that bad but i think its far to be as good as mental ray.

maya hardware i think its your video card that render the whole scene.

maya vectore is used if you want your scene to look like cartoon.

mental ray is the best render engine.

# 3 30-08-2005 , 09:27 PM
Yeah Mental Ray is good especially for realistic effect.

Maya Software is nice and fast though and can be used to preview most of your scene before doing the Mental Ray render.

As for your problem

In the render view are you actually getting any image at all displayed I mean does it render one frame then stop or does it do absolutly nothing.

And have you had the same problem rendering a single frame!

# 4 30-08-2005 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
i can render one frame like normal but everytime i click on batch render i see rendering with maya software or mental ray in the script editor and it just stays there forever without doing anything. and this has really really been pissing me off cause i just finished doing my very first scene that took me a whole week to do and now i just found out i can't export it.

my last option came down to exporting by using the playblast but one, i cant get rid of the camera aimer in the middle as well as the skeletons, and two im missing out on a bunch of realistic effects.
but anyways,
have u had this problem before? or exporting has always been cool with u?

# 5 30-08-2005 , 10:12 PM
By export do you mean export the objects or the whole scene.

Okay I am guessing you have set up batch render correctly using render globals with Frame/Animation Ext on something like name#.ext and with a start frame of 1 to End from of N with frame padding of whatever.

I have never had this problem myself,

I have had trouble even recreating this problem as a start frame and end frame of 0 still gives you a rendering complete & mayaRenderLog.txt . The only thing I can suggest is save your scene reinstall maya and try again maybe maya has just thrown a wobbly I know my mental ray has done that before just up and decided it didn't want to work anymore.

What version of maya are you using has it had any other probs.

# 6 30-08-2005 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
wow thats really intresting that it still gave you a rendering complete and mayaRenderLog.txt. i think your right though, my last option comes down to reinstalling maya. if it doesnt work again, well it looks like ill be retiring from maya then"sniff sniff".
ultimate goal:make movies , cant batch render:cant make movies no matter how awsome maya is.
but great tks for your help haynesy, i really appreciate the time u took to help me out.

-peace

# 7 30-08-2005 , 10:30 PM
Just a thought.

Download PLE install it try setting up a basic scene with movement and some of the same effect but basically then try a batch render.

See what happens.

# 8 31-08-2005 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
yea and that's what i did right before i was going to re-install. giving it more patience then ever, even though it still said "rendering with maya software" and nothing else in the script editor i noticed that i was getting some frames on the output file the frames were saved. so i tried it for the scene i was doing and yea its working but its unbelievable how slow it is. im getting about one targa frame every 10-20 minutes! now i dont know if thats the normal speed for rendering frames but im at least glad that i can work more on my movies. i know star wars took a couple hours to render some of their frames but i just have some stupid guy walking around on a rooftop.

# 9 31-08-2005 , 03:00 AM
Well that's good news I guess it's always a pain in the arse to reinstall everything.

You probably now just have to mess with settings of your scene I'm guessing you've deleted your history and the like and otherwise tried optimising your scene.

But anyway that's good.

# 10 31-08-2005 , 07:49 AM
I dont agree that Maya software renderer is used for previews only...its also strong renderer if you know how to use it,unlike the mental ray where everything is done for you by calculating photons path,Maya software asks for more adjustments,and more faking!

Mental Ray is pritty slow but it gives great resaults and I only use it when extra realsitic render is needed!

The real power lies in shading network and knowlage to manipulate it and different renderer will give different resault!

Blury Reflactions and Refractions can easly be handled in Mental Ray.
You have an attribute in each shader that gives specularity under Mental Ray extention you can find these attribs!

Good Luck!

# 11 31-08-2005 , 10:03 PM
I wasn't putting software render down in fact it's my primarly used renderer it's extrealy good it's just as you you said when you need that extra bit of realism is when it comes in handy.

Adam